Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

FInal Drafft: Response to starry night

When reading and listening to this poem, I felt and thought a couple of different things.  At first, from just reading it once and skimming it over, I didn't think much of it.  I just saw it as this lady trying to make a poem deeper that it need being.  I just looked at it appeared to look like, and not what was underneath.  I had no real interest into seeking the meaning into this poem, because on the first look around it didn't seem too great. After we discussed this poem in class for a while I saw that there was more to it.  A lot more.  I found out that she had committed suicide.  That made my view on this poem change completely.  I began to think of this poem as more than just a poem, but as a suicide note.  This was her suicide note, her message to the world.

And that got me to thinking all about suicide and her suicide.  Maybe this poem is about her trying to tell people how she was feeling, desperately reaching out for someone to understand her and help.  She was talking about How she wanted to die, but she writes it like this: "This is how
         I want to die"
She makes I want to die it's own separate line.  Maybe this is me trying to make everything fit together, but it seemed like she wanted people to know she felt like dying.  It makes you wonder though, if she talked to anyone about it, or if she just hoped eventually someone would realize this, if it is actually about this.  It’s a really interesting poem after I started thinking about this, still not sure if I like it yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment